Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hawaii Day 14

Tomorrow night at this time we will be boarding a plane and headed first to LAX and then back to New Jersey.  I cannot believe we have been here for 14 days, and impacting me more than that is the realization that once we step off that plane real life is back in full swing.  We have had an absolutely unforgettable time here in Hawaii that I'm sure will prove to be a once in a lifetime opportunity.  The likelihood that Ed, Caden and I will return again just the three of us is not very high, (God willing) and the opportunity to spend 14 days with my mom, just the two of us, will also be hard to repeat.
Admittedly at times the days seemed long, especially when we were exhausted and Caden was ready to play, or when we needed yet another item from the grocery store that we had forgotten.   Some evenings we'd think to ourselves, what will we do tomorrow?  The reality of it was it just didn't matter.  Sleep, play, swim, walk, read, watch TV, go for a hike, or have a drink by the pool, it was our reality, our paradise.
Personally for me this vacation came at exactly the right time.  After 10 months at home my return home means a return  to my regular life and pre-Caden routine.  Early Tuesday morning I will go back to work at Sea Girt.  Luckily I will only be working from 9:45-1:45 and Caden will be in Aunt Susan's loving arms, but it's still a change for us.  No more days, or weeks in pajamas.  No more days, or weeks without showering and just doing whatever we wanted all day everyday.  It is a welcome change that will be great from both of us, but it still a little bittersweet.  These last 14 days have been absolutely amazing!  I cannot imagine a better way to end my 10 months with the most amazingly precious, loving, brown eyed, observant, chubby, and serious little boy.  Although he will not remember any of this trip I will be sure to show him pictures and help him realize all the incredible sites, places, and sounds we saw heard and experienced while on this island.  And all that is left to say is.... MAHALO!!

Ok... enough with the nostalgia onto Day 14.  Caden had a terrible night last night.  He just couldn't get comfortable, was up until 12:30 and then ended up having a few bad dreams.  This obviously resulted in Ed and I having a terrible night as well.  I blamed it on the Ben and Jerry's and concluded that he may be unable to handle ice cream like his Mommy, but his father strongly debated that theory.  Luckily our wonderful Mi Mi gave us a relief at 5am and let us sleep till close to 7.  Our sleepy boy was back down for his first nap of the day by 8am.  





So Daddy bought this silly motorcycle at the store the other day.  Truth be told he snuck it into the cart and I didn't notice until we got home.  Due to his rough night Caden wasn't in the best of moods this morning.  After watching this silly thing run all over the floor all week Caden burst into hysterical crocodile tears when his Daddy revved it up this morning.  Poor little sleep boy.  See what happens when you buy junky toys Daddy!



Then it was time to start packing.  I know we aren't leaving until tomorrow evening, but we did a good bit of shopping.  This entire suitcase it just souvenirs.  Whoops!


After some packing we just lounged around the room and relaxed.  Caden and Ed shared US, In Touch and Life and Style.  They were reading up on the House Wives of New Jersey, they best  and worst dressed list from the Emmy's and most importantly how Julia Roberts and Rachel Bilson were in Hawaii while we were here.  No need for educational books for our son.  We're going to teach him the good stuff, gossip.  We have our priorties in order in our family! :)





Against Mommy's advice Daddy wanted to share his ice cream sandwich with the boy who had a bellyache all night last night from eating ice cream.  As Ed would say.. that's pure speculation Babe.  We have no proof that ice cream hurt his belly.  Jury is still out I guess.


Then it was time to head to the pool for one last serious session of swimming.


This boy is all about waving.  He waves to everyone, unless he's in his Mr. Serious mood of course.


Such a goofball and this was before the drinks.

Blowing raspberries

Then we had a brief National Geographic moment.  I went to get drinks and when I came back I saw a brown gecko on the rocks beside where we were swimming.  It's the first one I saw in two weeks and despite the fact that I an anti rodents, reptiles, cats, and basically any other animal other than dogs I was excited.  When I looked closer, however, I was greeted with an up close and personal view of the gecko method of mating. 

WARNING:  These pictures are PG-13
Aww cute gecko(s)

Whoa.. hello mating season!!  Yes, I know this was an invasion of their privacy, but after trying to shoo them away a few times I figured I should at least capture it so people would believe me.  It almost makes me blush, but not before I laugh!

Liquid Hawaii- Mai Tais and Malibu Rum and Pineapple juice.  This is for you Daryl!!

Ok little man, you keep that cute smile and sweet demeanor up while we're on the plane tomorrow night ok?  
That will make life just a little bit better for everyone.


 LIFE IS GOOD!



Mi Mi and Mommy soaking up our last few rays.  I'll be darned if my son that wore 50 SPF all week long is going to be tanner than me when I get home.



If you're going to pose like this you deserve to have the picture posted.  Sorry Ed!  I'd be inclined to say that his Mai Tai is starting to make Daddy feel good even though he'd deny it.


Tired boy ready for a tubby, dinner and bed.

Ok, this is what the hallway looks like in our hotel.  It may appear nice the first time you look at it, but if you look closely the walls have a checkerboard print.  In addition to all of this we have high speed elevators in our building.  Every time that we ride on them, which is about 5-10 times a day, Ed and I both get motion sick.
 If the motion sickness is not enough when you step off the elevator and are greeted with this, it is immediate sensory overload.
Yes those are tiny little feet wrapped in a pool towel in the picture.  They make all this motion sickness worth it!

Hawaii Day 14= Early naps, packing, swimming, poolside drinks,  enjoying our last night and getting ready to head home and see everyone that we miss and love including our girls Anna and Della.

Thank you to Liz and Dave for watching the girls while we were away, and thank you to Aunt Susan and Uncle D for stepping in when Liz and Dave had to leave a little early.  Thank you to Pa Pa for lending Mi Mi to us for two weeks, and thank you for coming to pick Mi Mi up and watch our boy for the first day Mommy goes back to school.  Sorry in advance that you have to suffer the brunt of Caden's jet lag.

Again...... MAHALO! Next time I write I'll be back home in good ol' Jersey!



No comments:

Post a Comment