Sunday, January 31, 2010

Weekend Visit


This weekend a good friend of mine from college came to visit, well let’s be honest she came to meet Caden for the first time.  Lauren will openly tell you she has a severe case of baby fever, so I decided that we would use this weekend as baby boot camp.  Here the poor girl thought she was just coming for a nice visit with an old friend, and she was exposed to breast feeding a baby, crazy poopy diapers, a crying baby, and many other things that I encounter on a daily basis.  All in all I don’t think we traumatized her that bad considering when she left she said she still had the fever.  Ed and I did realized that we have now become those parents that have entered the dark side.  By this I mean parents that talk about their child almost non-stop and even speak about their little one’s bowel movements.  Before we had children we vowed this would be something that we refused to do and considered it terribly disgusting, especially when discussed during dinner.  Last night we found ourselves speaking about whether Caden had gone to the bathroom yesterday or not.  Looking back we do this quite often, but didn’t realize it until someone else was in our home.  To Lauren… sorry about the poop talk.  We hope it didn’t ruin our delicious suishi dinner and we hope you come back to visit soon.


Caden has entered into stages of being a little man (in our book anyways) as opposed to an infant.  We refer to the first few weeks of his life as the “blob stage” as he just sat there and stared without any expressions or really any movement at all.  He ate, slept, and pooped (again sorry), but now he’s developing a personality and making life more enjoyable which we didn’t think was possible.  He’s also drinking a bottle of formula each night before bed which has resulted in around 5-6 hours of uninterrupted sleep.  To new parents like us, this is truly priceless.   And yes our little man is sleeping in his crib now.  I feel like yesterday he was in the nap nanny between us in our bed.  

In our nostalgic mood today Ed and I cleaned out the clothes that Caden has grown out of including some that he never had a chance to wear.  Ed decided that he would be happy if we could have one year for every month that Caden is alive.  How convenient if we could freeze time and have a two month old Caden for an entire year, and then a three month old Caden, etc.  I really think this is the only way you could soak up all that he has to offer.  We debated keeping in a dark room, and feeding him only coffee and making his smoke cigarettes to try and stunt his growth, but then we realized that may be the one thing that had Child Protective Services finally knocking at our door. (Completely joking on the last sentence)  


SLOW DOWN LITTLE MAN.. YOU'RE GROWING TOO QUICKLY!


The main reason I think that we feel Caden is growing so quickly is because our neighbors just had a baby boy on Tuesday.  He was 9lbs. 4oz. and they named him Cole.  We are  hoping that Cole and Caden grow up to be great friends, and realize if Cole keeps up the size he is now he will probably kick Caden’s butt.  We are ok with that though J Cole’s mom called yesterday and we were chatting about all the feelings, frustrations and craziness that come with a newborn.  It blew my mind to see how much advice I was able to give when I still feel like a complete novice myself.  From 11 weeks on we are absolutely clueless, but if you need advice about latching on, belly buttons falling off, circumcisions, swaddling, and tubbies we are your go to people.  All joking aside we had a great support system when brining Caden home from the hospital and hope that we are able to pay that forward to another couple in any way possible.
To the new boys In town, Caden and Cole, we look forward to all the fun and trouble you two get into over the next 18 years. 

2 comments:

  1. I had a blast this weekend!! Thank you so much for letting me come hang out with you. Caden is amazing and definitely didn't help the Baby Fever...it made it surge more. :) Love you tons--need to visit soon. Perhaps in a few weeks?? XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome to the dark side... your conversation content is sure sign you are going to fit in juuuust fiiiiiine. :)

    ReplyDelete