Today I thought back to a post that I wrote a long, long time ago. It actually feels like a different life time at this point. It was about my morning right after Caden was born. I was explaining how everything was difficult and crazy. Let me just say, I HAD NO IDEA!!
(You can check it out here...http://www.littlecadenslife.blogspot.com/2010/01/morning-in-slatt-house.html
Now let me start by saying this... I understand that everyone's definition of crazy is relative to where they are in their life at that given moment. When I only had one boy, I thought life was crazy, now that I have two I think I'm losing it daily. I can only imagine what life would be like if we decided to add a third to the mix. Regardless of whether we are at the top of the crazy mountain, or if we are still climbing, I wanted to document what a day is like in our house so a year or twelve from now I can look back and laugh at how simple things were.
Midnight last night... I went to bed. With wet hair, because that is what I do, and slept like a rock.
6:30 wake up call. Dogs are whining, Jackson is crying and Ed is getting ready for work.
7:00-7:30 Peel my eyeballs open, quickly straighten my hair, get dressed, and run downstairs so Ed can leave.
7:30-8:30 Put make-up on while standing in the hallway beside the kitchen
Feed Jackson breakfast
Wait for Caden to wake up
Dress both boys
Pack my lunch
(Squeeze in cuddling, kisses, and a few books or a show if time allows)
Count down the minutes until Poodie gets here
8:30-8:45 Talk to Susan, gather what I forgot to get ready, either quickly run out the door or pry two crying kids off of me and run for it
8:50 Go to Dunkin Donuts every.single.day... this my friends is my saving grace.
Today, because he asked for it and I'm a sucker, I ran back to the house and gave Caden the pink milk and donut he asked for.
9:05 Walk into school...
9:10-1:40 Teach, teach and teach... I could explain how I try to help a child with Autism learn about 7th grade Science, wetlands, etc. or how a student I've been teaching Math to for two weeks cannot remember which number is bigger, 100, 200 or 300 or tell you that when I asked a little girl what she did for her Birthday this summer, her response was "I got lice." All that though, is minutia .... minor details of my day.
1:45-2:00 Depending on my day I get home around 2. I get a quick run down from Poodie, grab milk for Caden and a bottle for Jackson. I throw a diaper on Caden, put him on the couch to drink his milk and wind down and give Jackson a bottle until he starts thrashing around. Then he is flagged and put down for a nap in his crib.
2:20 This is usually when I get Caden down. Sometimes it's easy, other times we wrestle for over an hour.
2:20-4 Anytime in here Jackson may wake up and scream, and throw things. I try to ignore it because I'm usually laying with Caden trying to steal 20 minutes of sleep.
4-5 I entertain two grumpy boys who are waking up from naps, and two dogs that are nagging and whining because they want their dinner.
5- Jackson's feeding time as well as the dogs
I feed the three of them, try to make dinner, and beg Caden to eat something.
5:45- Ed gets home, we eat quickly, clean up and get Caden ready for gymnastics
6:15 Get Caden dressed for gymnastics, thrown Jackson in the tub and make sure the boys are out the door to gymnastics by 6:20
Then (I'm giving up on times at this point) I do a load of laundry, fold laundry, put laundry away all while trying to push Jackson out of the way from unloading every drawer I open.
Get Jackson ready for bed, give him a bottle, put him down.
Ed and Caden are still at gymnastics, so I do some more laundry and fit in a quick workout.
Before they get home I run downstairs, clean up the rest of dinner and in the middle of this they get home.
Now it's time to cuddle with Caden on the couch for 20 minutes before he goes to bed.
Caden is in bed... wash bottles, finish cleaning up the kitchen, clean up the rest of my house that looks like a bomb went off, make Ed coffee, and then talk to Ed for 3 minutes before he goes back and starts his grad school work.
Then I finally sit, and relax, and write this blog. I know that this may be nothing compared to others, and I have a lot to be thankful for. I don't mean to overlook any of that, but I just want it documented that this was a crazy.. and I mean CRAZY time in our lives and we survived it and dare I say even enjoyed most days. We may be the tired, sometimes grumpy, frantic family with the messy house and the sticky kids, but we are also the lucky ones!!
p.s. The time on this post is WRONG.. definitely not written at 6pm :)
No comments:
Post a Comment