Monday, February 27, 2012

Our Little Jackson

BEFORE I START ALL OF THIS I HAVE TO THANK MY AMAZING MOTHER IN LAW FOR DRIVING 2.5 HOURS ONE WAY TO COME AND WATCH CADEN SO THAT I COULD GO TO JACKSON'S APPOINTMENT.  
BEING ABLE TO ONLY TAKE ONE CHILD AND THOROUGHLY LISTEN TO WHAT THE DOCTOR WAS SAYING WAS PRICELESS.  WE APPRECIATE YOU COMING MORE THAN YOU KNOW.  WE HOPE THAT YOU HAD AS MUCH FUN WITH THE BOYS AS THEY HAD WITH YOU.  
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

I hope that in a few short months I will forget I wrote this blog and Jackson's food allergies will just be a part of our past.

Today we had a follow up appointment with our pediatrician to check on Jackson's eczema and see if there have been any changes since introducing a new formula.  Luckily we were able to say that after two bottles of the new, and very expensive, Similac Alimentum formula Jackson's eczema was all but cleared up.  He has continued on this formula for over a month and continues to do well. 

Previously we have introduced rice cereal and oatmeal and he had a head to toe reaction to both.  Stupid Mom of the year tonight, after I looked at the box because the doctor told me to try the rice cereal again, realized I had purchased the rice cereal with fruit and it was made from wheat.  So.. I did not try to re-introduce the original rice cereal that caused a reaction and trucked my tired butt to the store to get plain old, nothing added rice cereal.  We gave him ten bites at dinner tonight and are hoping that he does not wake up in the morning with any eczema.  I realize dinner isn't the best time to try it, but I gave him some Benadryl just to be safe.

Ok.. now onto the veggies.  So far Jackson has tried green beans, peas, carrots, and squash without any reaction.  We have to give the vegetables for seven straight days to ensure that a reaction does not happen later in the week.  We have one more vegetable to go and then it's onto fruits.  The doctor did warn that fruits usually produced more of a reaction than vegetables.  

She also mentioned that we need to be careful as the seasons change.  We could run into some reactions as he starts to play outside more and could react to grass or other things.  She also wants us to start spot testing sun tan lotions on the small of his back or his thigh to make sure we are getting sun tan lotions that he's not going to react to.  She was not worried as much about perfumes that he may come in contact with, but was concerned about cosmetics (if you have a lip gloss or lip stick on and kiss him, or if you rub up against him and have makeup on), and another concern was if you rub hand lotion on that is scented and then immediately touch him.  

I asked about allergy testing and the doctor felt that he was still a bit too young.  She wants to wait until we've introduced more food and possibly around the age of 1 we will send him first for a blood test and see what results we get back from that.  She also mentioned I need to look at the symptoms of Celiac's Disease and read up on some of the food allergy networks.  She did not say he does have Celiac's Disease nor did she say that he has a wheat and gluten allergy, but that's what she was leaning towards.

Regardless of all of this and the two shots he received today (flu shot and Hep B) he smiled, blew raspberries, and cooed the entire time.  He cried for two seconds after the shots and then fell asleep in his car seat on the way home.  I know we may have a long road ahead of us and that we are probably going to become food allergy experts, but we are just very thankful to have such a sweet, sweet boy.  We love his spirit, his huge heart and the fight that he has within himself.  Hang in there Jackson.. we'll get this all figured out.  You may just be a little itchy in the process

No comments:

Post a Comment