Did you ever get a song stuck in your head and no matter what you did it just wouldn't go away? Well, that is exactly what happened to Caden tonight at bed time.
Ed is the one that puts Caden to bed each night, but I'm the sucker that runs up there if he starts to cry and rocks him just one last time before bed. Now Caden and I chat back and forth all day long. Giggling, laughing, and just making silly faces back and forth to each other. The night time routine though is much different. He and Ed do not talk to each other once the lights are off, and no matter how hard I try, he won't talk to me when I go in to "save" him. I noticed while I was rocking him that he was doing these little hand motions. At first I thought maybe he was just rubbing his blanket or had something on his finger that was bothering him, but then I noticed he was doing the same motions over and over again. I realized he was doing Itsy Bitsy Spider. I asked him if he wanted me to sing it to him and without saying a word he just nodded yes.
So I sang/whispered Itsy Bitsy Spider three times as he silently did the motions. He even aired clapped at the end when we clap and cheer for him. He did the motions on his own three or four more times and then seemed content with his performance and let me lay him in his crib for the night.
It was one of the sweetest moments we've shared over the past few weeks since everything has become so incredibly crazy around here. These simple, special moments make me realize that he will forgive me for letting him stand at my feet crying and begging to be picked up while I feed Jackson, or forgive me for getting out of bed for the 100th time to put the pacifier back in Jackson's mouth after we are all comfy and cuddled up at nap time. I know that life will never be the same now that he has to share our attention, but for tonight all is well in the world, and my heart is not filled with the huge amount of guilt it usually is at this time of the night all due to a little Itsy Bitsy Spider.
No comments:
Post a Comment