Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mommy's Birthday!!

Today I celebrated my 32nd Birthday.  Yes, I'm admitting that I'm getting old... really old!!

My day started with pulling Caden out of bed and having him sing Happy Birthday to me.  There is nothing better than when your kids actually realize it's your birthday and remind you of it all day long.  Then I came downstairs and Ed had a gift of the table for me and two cards.  Soon after Aunt Susan arrived with gifts, that would be followed up when I got home from school with flowers, a birthday balloon, and a homemade sign from my boys.  After arriving at school I was greeted by many Birthday wishes from the students and the teachers, but most importantly a homemade Birthday cake, cookies, and brownies from a fellow teacher.  I was given a sticker by a 7th grader and sang to by a Language Arts class.  I was treated to an afternoon of double naps by my boys, and even snuck in an hour nap myself.

This is where it all took a turn for the worse.  A dark, dark turn..... Ed and I decided we would have Caden skip gymnastics tonight and we would do something that we NEVER do.  We decided to take the boys out to dinner.  The chosen place was Chevy's Mexican restaurant in Brick, NJ.  It's a place we used to frequent all the time, seeing as we both Mexican food and margaritas.  We hyped up the dinner, told Caden Mommy would get to wear a sombrero and people would sing to her.  He was so excited, we were so excited, and then we pulled into the parking lot.

THIS IS WHAT WE SAW....

Yes, I was as shocked as your are.  What the HELL is a Quaker Steak & Lube?  Well my friends, after eating my Birthday dinner at this fine establishment I can tell you.  It's a motorcycle, stock car, Nascar, kind of bar that was featuring all you can eat wings tonight.
Luckily for us, the boys were fantastic, the place was packed, and Caden even was upset when it was time to leave.  We swung by the grocery store on the way home to pick up a cake (I stopped by a specialty bakery earlier in the day and they were closed.) So, we headed home, sang blew out candles and called it a day.

I'll admit, half of me misses the days of eating out with my husband at a candle lit dinner at The Melting Pot or even better Shipwreck.  I miss a nice bottle of wine, quiet conversation, reflecting on the past year, but I don't miss it enough to trade the life that I have now for it.  Those days will be here again before I know it, and even though I NEVER thought I'd be at a place in my life to say this... Quaker Steak & Lube and all.. it was a great day!



Look at the big goof ball on the right who may or may not have had too much cake!


Thank you to all three of my boys for making today so special!

No comments:

Post a Comment